Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Something Different

Why do you like what you do? Your job or spare time or school or retirement. Or maybe you don't like what you do. That's kind of how I felt about school. Just wasn't my thing. Retirement I haven't tried yet. So, that leaves jobs and spare time about which I can comment.
I haven't had a lot of spare time over the years, with five children and my wife to keep me entertained. I enjoy flying, music, reading. Yard work is there, most of the time.
But my job. Behind my family, my most enjoyable pastime. And the reason..... there is something new and different everyday. I sit behind a computer all day, and have the deadlines, but the stories we air are always fascinating. Accidents are not joyous, but you can learn things. Did you know its a bad thing to keep your cruise control on while driving on wet or slippery roads? Trooper III Sparky Dean says with cruise control, your tires will keep rotating at the same speed on dry pavement or wet, so going over a puddle of water can spin the vehicle out of control. Happened last weekend near Eastland. Two people died. Several injuried. That's not the type of story we like to report, that accident, but if we can save a life with that cruise control info.... well, that's what we do.
Did a story tonight about Abilene Police Officer Jeremy Holmes. On routine patrol. Flagged down by a mother whose baby was in trouble. Officer Holmes used the Heimlick Manuver to dislodge food in the child's throat. Officer Holmes, salute.
Will be doing stories leading up to Big Country Appreciation Day at Dyess Air Force Base. Dyess and Air Force people have meant so much and done so much for the Big Country. This is the 25th anniversary of the arrival of the first B-1B Lancer. KTAB was covering the arrival live from the flight line. I said, "Look up Abilene", as the B-1 approached from downtown and flew (fast) to Dyess, made a few passes and landed. Those are the kinds of stories that keep a newsman coming back for more. That's why I like what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment